20081018

I'm a designer

I can tell (lie to) myself and the employer and say that I want to be a project manager or want to deal with R&D engineering theories. But I know I'm a designer at heart and that's what I want to do ultimately. There's no doubt what so ever that I have a mindset of a designer; even a designer that has been doing it for 20 years told me (or maybe that's why I think so?).

It's become more apparent through this design course that some people like to deal with equations and numbers, some like to manage, some like to design.

There's nothing that gives me more joy than the camera or a 3D CAD program. When I'm designing on Catia, I'm in happy mode. It also comes with a cocky designer attitude, the "I'm a designer and I'm better than you" attitude. Which I'm convinced I picked up from my designer mentor at Dowty. JBrown would drill into my head that there's nothing better than being a contractor, getting paid the big bucks and playing with Lego on Catia all day.

A couple things that I can spend hours on but would not get bored of: a photoshoot/walk-around, Photoshop, Catia and working in a machine shop.

There are few things more satisfy than seeing a 3D model come to form as a real part I can hold in my hand. With the machine shop here at UW and the good people who work there, I can now produce parts that actually look like the 3D model and not like shit.

2 aluminium parts of the project which I machined on the lathe and 5 hours of my life I'll never get back but is willing to give up.

4 hours of my life i will never get back

more machining

5 comments:

  1. Lovely... hope this compensates you being stuck in waterpoo for thanksgiving weekend :D:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Random Goods or Random Gods? Haha, every time i see your blog title i think "Rocky calls himself a God!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. goods
    but many people call me god
    they say...omgwtf

    sry...lame..

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is pretty cool that you can do that. What does it do?
    Molding shit out of aluminum huh? I am looking on ways to get some metal shit molded. No idea how though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was actually machined on a lathe
    so it was spun from a block of solid aluminium

    molding...or casting aluminium is a whole different ball game.

    ReplyDelete