20091113

clamshell lighting

Bookmark and Share

Clamshell lighting is a technique used by many fashion photographers to create a very flattering look with a 1:1 lighting ratio.

It's almost a fail safe technique next to the 'umbrella-camera-top-right-@-45-degrees.' It makes the average person look good and make good looking people even better. Pairing this with a telephoto lens just makes everything come together that much better.

The set up is simple, some use only one light and a large reflector, or in this case two speedlights. The light source should be large to give a flattering soft light. Remember that it's the relative size that matters, so getting the light in as close as possible increases its relative size to the subject. I actually had PYeung hold up the light at the top just above DF's head. This can be eliminated if I had a boom, but I'm cheap like that and my assistant is free.

Clamshell x DF

The set up includes two SB=800s with the shoot through umbrellas. A SB-800 in the back for some separation. (I moved the hair light when I took the following).

DF

The camera loves DF.

**edit* the lights weren't so awesome that it changed a bowtie into a neck tie...wardrobe change

2 comments:

  1. Do I see Sto-Fen diffuser caps on your speedlights? Is there a particular reason?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ian,
    the diffusers just spreads out the light even more across the umbrella. In this set up, the light spills to the sides aren't of any significance. If let's say I had the umbrellas on the side where the diffuser would spill light to the background, then I wouldn't use a diffuser and flag the speedlight.

    In a situation where I can afford to use more power, then I would...if I have a million rechargable batteries I would too :P

    Thanks for visiting!!

    ReplyDelete