20091029

lighting it up for cookie

Bookmark and Share

This was an on location shoot because I need to experience setting up the backdrop system and lights at the client's place.

This was a challenge since the area I require is quite large. Using a 6ft arctic white backdrop and a good amount to cover the floor, my porta-studio requires about a 8ft x 10ft area. Not everyone will have this type of free space in their home. Because I'm shooting with a white background again this time, there was not too much of an issue with the white ceiling, but I can see that it might be an issue if I cannot get enough distance between the subject and the backdrop. Aside from the studio, trying to shoot with a longer lens proves also difficult because I still need a good 6-10ft away from the subject if I were to use my 85mm or the monster (yes, that's what I'm calling it).

Cookie did not like the white backdrop. She would get away from it whenever she had the chance and would only go on if a treat was involved. It was a challenge to capture her good side.

The set up is similar to what I had done before; 2 SB800s nuking the background with enough leaking from the diffusers to give some back lighting for the subject, not that it needed separation with a white background. I used a SB900 on a shoot through umbrella as the key.

Cookie light set up

Midway through the shoot, I decided to introduce another SB800 (because I can). I wanted to see if I can get more catch light in the eyes. The results were very subtle and I'm still undecided about it. I may look into adding a ring light adaptor to get some circular catch lights for close ups.

Cookie light set up

Results were decent and predictable. Need to look to do a larger range of variety within the studio setting.
More to come in this set as I get myself to do more editing.

No comments:

Post a Comment