20091027

working the numbers

Bookmark and Share

I make a conscience effort to watch the number of shots that turn out for each shoot, not that shutter counts have ever stopped me from shooting less, but I would like to have as many quality shots as possible result from each shoot. This reduces my workflow and will of course preserve the camera, afterall, it is a business and buying more equipment more often means adding more to the costs.

Consistency is king when you talk about becoming a professional. It is important to find consistency in your style and consistency in you quality so a client will know what to expect. This is true to any kind of art.

Just to quantify this, because I'm an engineer and that's what I do, my goal for each session:
~90% of the total - usable images (properly lit, focusing is right, etc)
~60% of the 90% - subjects with proper expressions (no blinks and awkward smiles)
~20% of the 60% - short series to tell the story (fit for a leather bound book)
~1% of the 20% - best of the shoot for the portfolio

Of course, these are just rough numbers, but if I can follow this guide then I can produce a consistency in quality for my clients.

As for style...that's for another post...

DSC_3595
D300, 70-200mm @ 70mm, f/2.8, iso800

Thanks to my great friend DFang for the lovely notes to end a wonderful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment