20091217

secure hot shoe mount

Bookmark and Share

Being the cheapskate that I am, I take care of my gear because I can't afford to replace them. When you're putting a speedlight on a stand, for those of us with some of the newer speedlights (like an SB900 @ $500+), you are putting a lot of money into a very high place. Even though they're built like a tank, a 6 foot drop won't do it any good.

I use these Impact umbrella adapters, they're great for what they're worth but the hotshoe mount really suck. I've had a SB800 fall from 7ft off of this adaptor, lucky landing on something soft with no damages.

I had a Photoflex XS Softbox at one point and I want to get another one when I get the chance, the adjustable mount that you need with this softbox comes with a very nice speedlight hot shoe mount. Very secure.

I looked for this online and it wasn't a part that's sold on it's own. So I emailed the good people at Photoflex and got a very prompt reply from Alex:

Hi Rocky,

Thank you for your email message and for your continued support.

Yes, this part exists. Here is the info:
Item# RR-QRSHOE - $11.95usd ea
Availability: out of stock, will have in stock Jan 17, 2010

To place your order when it’s in stock, please contact us at 800 486 2674 mon-fri 8am-4pm Pacific.

Thank you!

So there you go. At 12 bucks, I think it's a very good investment for a secure solution and only a fraction of the cost of what your flash costs.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the info! Always good to find a nice mount!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'm going to look into this, having broken an sb600, an sb800, and almost knocking an sb900 out of commission from just such a fall. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the same way. I take care of all of my gear. I get quite the workout carrying around sandbacks to put on the light stands :-)

    ReplyDelete