20091214

strobist wino

Bookmark and Share

A great weekend with some fresh seafood (so fresh we didn't cook it) with good friends. I hosted a get together at my place so I did a lot of the preparation, rand around most of the night and didn't get a chance to snap some shots of everyone.

Bought a set of new wine glasses too, even though they're not DF's 50 dollar/glass, so I want to show them off. I can't call myself a wine enthusiast but I certainly enjoy wine. I have been regularly tasting (drinking) with DF and been documenting the group's get-togethers for DF's blog.

These are some of the more refined shots I have taken thus far.
The set up as follows.

1) I didn't want to set up my white backdrop so I decided to just shoot on the bar top. It has a glossy vinyl surface so it's quite versatile in it's appearance depending on what angle you shoot at. Please don't mind the junk...

2) SB900 on white shoot through camera right to start things off.
DSC_6026_1

3) Adding a SB800 to light the background.
DSC_6028

4) Because of how I laid out the bottles, one key light on the left would leave the bottle on the right side underexposed. So...SB800 on a shoot through on camera right. I moved that background light behind the bar and pointed up. You'll notice a bit of spill on the light on camera right, fixed this by flagging the speedlight.
DSC_6036_1

5) I snooted the background light to give focus to the bottles. I did this with a piece of black construction. The position was a bit off and I needed to play with it a bit to get it just right.
DSC_6049_1

6) The final set up.
Riesling galore set up

Be sure to check out these wines at DF's blog
From Left to Right:
2008 Thirty Bench Riesling
2004 Reichsgraf von Kesselstatt Riesling Kabinett
2008 Flat Rock Cellars Nadja's Vineyard Riesling

And the resulting shot, enjoy!
Riesling galore

8 comments:

  1. Nice set-up. And while I'm typically a Red kinda guy, I have to admit that a little sweet Riesling on a warm summer day really hits the spot. :)

    Any reason you didn't stop down to get the glasses in focus too?
    Nice shot, color's really pop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting William.
    I was deciding if I should stop down or not. I figured that the mean feature were the bottles and not the glasses. But I can see that the distance might be a bit too close for it to work. I fairly happy with how it came out though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice setup, thanks for sharing the!

    The glossy, reflective bar top adds great depth to the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great shot. I too like the glossy reflective bar top. Nice choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great info man! I really like the result as well.. I dig the off-center framing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, thanks for sharing!

    -Rima
    http://www.occasionphotography.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome. I always love to see how other people light product and get some ideas. Cheers

    ReplyDelete